There’s few things I require out of life, one of them happens to be fast meals that are also healthy. The reality is that more often than not, our schedule or energy levels don’t quite allow for glamorous meal prepping sessions. It would be grand to be able to concoct gourmet standard cuisine on a daily basis, fit for Gwyneth Paltrow herself. Unfortunately, for those of us that just need to shove something fast down our busy faces, we often end up compromising on the health factor. Over time, these quick and easy meal choices that we keep going for add up. Soon it starts to have a negative impact on our overall wellness. Whether it be high fat content, heavily processing or simply low nutritional value that’s to blame, the one thing we really shouldn’t be settling for when it comes to our bodies, is bad fuel.
So in the honour of keeping things tasty, fresh, and healthy, and in honour of all of you like minded busy bodies who just can’t afford to be faffing around in the kitchen for more than say, 15 minutes max at lunchtime… These are for you. Well, mainly for me. I mean, let’s be honest, even if I did have the time… I still wouldn’t be bothered.
Healthy Lunch Nº1
- Some nice slices of bread for toasting
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and de-stoned
- 1 garlic clove
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Half a lime or lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- In a small bowl smash up an avo whilst you wait for your bread to toast.
- Once the toast has popped, rub the garlic clove over the full surface of the toast slices.
- Then spread your smashed avo over the top, squirt on some zesty juice and add the rest of the seasoning to your personal preference.
- If you like it hot, why not sprinkle some chili powder or add a few drops of hot sauce.
- If you’re trying to get fancy with it, add a few sprigs of coriander.
Healthy Lunch Nº2
Sweet Potato Soup
Source: Lunch Box Brunch
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (from a baked sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (add more to thin out to desired consistency)
- 1/2 cup plain soy or almond milk
- Salt (3 pinches)
Optional for taste or garnish:
Orange or satsuma zest (1 pinch), cayenne pepper, chipotle powder (1/2 tsp), canned white beans (blended in), cinnamon, lime juice (lime wedge served on side), parsley or chopped spinach served over top. 1/4 cup diced avocado, 2-3 tortilla chips, crushed.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and bake your sweet, sweet potato until nice and tender.
- Remove the potato skin, and add to the blender along with the broth and non-dairy milk. Blend on low until smooth.
- Taste a drop to see that it is slightly bland at this point.
- Add the salt and spices to taste.
- I added the zest last and folded it into the poured soup. For fancy pants people, serve with garnish or avocado and crushed chips over top.
Notes: The hot potato should warm the soup enough to be served as is – or you can warm on the stove or microwave until hot enough to suit your taste buds. It doesn’t have to be sweet potato either, you can try this recipe with pumpkin or butternut squash.
Healthy Lunch Nº3
- 1.5lbs of fresh salmon (cut into 4 pieces)
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon (at least 1/4 cup)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Get your pieces of pink fish and slap them in a baking dish (skin side down), squeezing lemon juice over the top until fully coated.
- Add the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once oven is nice and piping hot, shove your fishy dish in there and wait for about 10 minutes before removing and serving.
- You can have this salmon with any side your heart desires, be it rice, veggies, potatoes or salad.
Healthy Lunch Nº4
Poached Egg & Rocket Salad
- 1 bunch rocket, trimmed
- However many eggs you want
- Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
: Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar
or pre-made salad dressing of your choice
Method (you will need vinegar to poach the egg):
- Add vinegar to a deep frying pan or small pot filled with water and bring to the boil over high heat.
- Crack an egg into a small cup.
- Use a large spoon to stir the water to create a whirlpool.
- Carefully slip the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for 1-2 minutes for a soft egg, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Place your rocket boys and parmesan cheesy flakes in a large bowl and drizzle with dressing.
- Gently toss to combine.
- Top with a poached egg and sprinkle with desired seasoning.
Enrol with us this month and become a Nutritional Therapist!
At The School of Natural Health Sciences we offer 60 courses in holistic health therapies, six of which are nutrition based – Clinical Nutrition, Advanced Nutrition, Child & Adolescent Nutrition, Sport & Exercise Nutrition, Nutrition for Age 50+, and our most recent addition: Vegetarian & Vegan Nutrition.
Set yourself up for success with our diplomas that are accredited in 26 different countries. Distance learning allows you to study at a pace and location that best suits your needs. A true holistic education!