How much do you know about what you are eating?
by the School of Natural Health Sciences
Some experts believe it’s the sugar rather than the fat in our diets that’s contributing to our obesity epidemic. The instant ‘lift’ we get from sugar is one of the reasons we turn to it when we crave comfort or reward. However, even those of you without a sweet tooth may be eating more than you think you are because so many everyday processed foods, from cereals and bread to pasta sauce and soups, contain more sugar and fat than you possibly realise.
Take our quick food quiz and see how much you know about what you are eating!
Question 1 – Which of these has the most saturated fat?
- Regular burger & medium chips
- Regular portion of fish & chips´
- Small pepperoni pizza
Question 2 – How many cubes of sugar are in one can of cola?
Question 3 – How much salt would you find in a portion of canned/carton of tomato soup
- About 1g
- About 5g
- About 15g
Question 4 – Which of these has the most calories?
- Regular burger & medium chips in a restaurant
- Sausages & mash in a restaurant
- Macaroni & Cheese ready meal
- About half
- About twice
- About four times
Question 6 – Which of these has the most sugar per portion?
- Cornflakes with semi-skimmed milk
- Cup of black coffee with 2 sugars
- Fat free or low fat strawberry yoghurt
Question 7 – Which of these has the most salt?
- Ham & cheese sandwich
- Regular pack of ready salted crisps
- Chicken tikka masala ready meal
Question 8 – Which is the lowest in calories?
- Regular take-away burger & medium chips
- Spaghetti carbonara ready meal
- Homemade chicken stir-fry with rice
- A large sausage roll
- Ham & cheese baguette
- A scotch egg
Question 10 – Which of the following would provide more than half of your daily maximum amount of sugar?
- 250ml squash drink (diluted with water)
- 330ml can of lemonade
- 150ml fruit juice
Question 11 – Which of the following is the daily maximum amount of salt for an adult?
- One teaspoon
- Two teaspoons
- Four teaspoons
Question 12 – Which of these snacks contains the most calories?
- Slice of malt loaf
- Fruit cereal bar
- Pack of raisins
If you are interested in learning more about food – Visit our Courses page
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org