Subjects included in the Course
• Roles and responsibilities of the First Aider
• Standard First Aid Kit
• Factors to consider before using a first aid kit
• Cross infection
• Incident Management
• How to conduct a scene survey
• How to assess a casualty
• Primary survey – Danger, Response, Airway, Breathing
• The unresponsive (non breathing) casualty
• How to administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
• Hygiene during resuscitation
• Knowledge of the Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
• The unresponsive (breathing) casualty
• The recovery position
• How to place an unresponsive/unconscious casualty in the recovery position
• The secondary survey
• How to Manage a Seizure
• The signs of a major seizure and treatment process
• Airway Obstruction (Choking)
• Signs of a choking casualty
• How to treat choking
• Circulatory Problems – Shock (Hypovolaemic)
• The possible causes, signs and symptoms of hypovolaemic shock
• How to treat shock
• Fainting – possible causes, signs and symptoms
• Minor Wounds and the different types of wounds
• How to manage a casualty with a minor injury – small splinters, nosebleed and chemical splash to the eye
• Minor Injuries to Bones, Muscles and Joints
• Suspected fractures
• Recognition and the possible signs, symptoms and treatment of suspected fractures
• Recognise and treat suspected dislocations
• Suspected strains and sprains possible signs, symptoms and treatment
• Minor Burns and Scalds
• Cause of Burns
• Severity of burns: factors to consider
• Treatment of wet and dry heat burns
• Treatment of chemical burns
• Treatment of low voltage electrical burns
First Aid Course Outcome
A School of Natural Health Sciences Accredited Diploma will be issued on successful completion of this course.
* Included in the course are details of ‘interactive apps’ to help consolidate knowledge and obtain an additional ‘certificate’, issued by Resuscitation Council (UK). This is optional.
See our Accreditation Page for the list of ‘independent accrediting bodies’ who approve and accredit our courses in the UK and around the World.
Our First Aid Course Writer – Sue Mousley
After attending college on a pre-nursing course, to become a Registered General Nurse (RGN), I began full training in January 1979 at Nuneaton Hospitals (we had two sites then). I qualified in 1982 and worked at the George Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton on the medical wards and then on a paediatric ward.
I went onto to do my midwifery training in 1986, in Nuneaton again, and qualified as a Registered Midwife (RM) in 1987. Over the years I worked in various roles and areas around maternity, including setting up and managing a high risk pregnancy unit. I then moved to work as a community midwife until I retired at the end of 2015. During my time in maternity I trained to become an Aromatherapist in 1995-1996 and set up and co-ordinated an aromatherapy/holistic service within the maternity section and also trained staff at the hospital and student midwives at Coventry University (I still do an annual session for them). We were shortlisted in 2003 and joint winners in 2005 of the Prince of Wales Foundation for Integrated Health ‘Good Practice Awards’ and I was also nominated for M Maury AC Aromatherapist in the Year 2005.
Sue has the following qualifications amongst many others:
Instructor and Assessor First Aid – SOME Training Ltd (jointly owned company www.sometrainingltd.co.uk )
AET – Award in Education and Training Level 3
Level 4 EQA – Externally Assessing the Quality of assessment processes and practice for Lantra Awarding Body and also an external verifier and technical verifier for them.
First Aid Course Fees
If you need more information about our First Aid Course, please complete the form:
Note: Add our domain (naturalhealthcourses.com) to your email safe/white list to make sure you receive our reply straight to your inbox not your junk/spam folder!